My Blog List

Tuesday 24 April 2012

NOLLYWOOD by BELLA OKOJIE (Part 2)

NOLLYWOOD (Part 2)



It is very sad that Ramsey Nouah has been stereotyped as a lover boy in every Nigerian movie and Patience Ozokwor is a labeled impious mother in law or seditious wife. When will we get to the level where Patience Ozokwor will act as ‘Mamma Mia’ like Meryl Streep did or where veterans like Olu Jacobs, Justus Esiri and Pete Edochie will do their own ‘Bucket List’ like Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson? These are reasonable story lines. When will we get to produce pragmatic college (university) movies where real youngsters are used not Rita Dominic or Chioma Chukwuka acting like ‘fresh out of secondary school’ girls? It upsets me more to see that Nigerian producers cannot even take a cue from our endless reality shows on dance and other stuff and make movies out of them.


We have wonderfully talented dancers in the Nigerian youth, yet the best a director came up with, was with Ramsey Nouah and Rita Dominic… two people with, perhaps no history of dance whatsoever! The movie was senseless! I could go on and on about this thing, then again, will they listen? Won’t they go ahead and lift the story line of a Bollywood movie and do a sorry remake of it? We have access to the best media technology as it advances, yet some directors prefer to record on VHS cassettes ignoring the advanced options… I want to be an actress… I want so badly to be one! But most times I cringe when I see how stars interpret their roles… It almost looks like they don’t have a clue what the character is about. That gives me a headache!

People have jeered at me to stop criticizing Nollywood and feature in my own movie so they can see how I’d fare, but that on its own is an entirely different ball game. I don’t want to act as someone’s younger sister or daughter of a single parent or all that crap. Puuh-lease! I am young and edgy and upbeat and I love ‘Twilight’. I guess I just told you the kind of script I am looking out for; I love ‘A walk to Remember’, movies that will pull families to the cinemas with hankies and tissues and so much love to go around. I was so moved by that President Goodluck Jonathan contributed a huge sum of money into the movie industry and honestly as much as I want a wad for myself. I pray doors will be opened these directors and producers and for them to find sponsors and make Nollywood serious competition for Hollywood. This will step up their game and MS Word will correct nollywood to Nollywood and we’ll all live happily ever after. THE END!... Or is it the other way round? LoL!

Bella Okojie
Bella Okojie

No comments:

Post a Comment