My Blog List

Saturday 28 April 2012

THE DAY I SAW THE SUN by EKENE UMEIKE


The Day I Saw the Sun

For a long time I have wondered how any human being could take time to watch the sun. Rising or setting it has never made a difference. What’s the big deal? After all it’s always there, usually managing to cause me great discomfort. But … but today I saw the sun.

I was walking casually back from lectures when suddenly I looked up and there it was – the sun. Probably for the first time I could see its beauty and magnificence radiating majestically. As if spellbound and probably looking a little crazy, I walked with my eyes fixed, gazing upwards at the rather robust and orange looking sun as it disappeared into the horizon to make way for the moon.

My only regret was that I did not have a camera to record what I had seen. Then, I remembered and smiled because I realized that the sun would most definitely return the next day.

It is sad, that though the everyday of my life the sun had been there, I had never actually seen it until now. For each day that I have left, I will make the effort to appreciate the beauty not only of the sun, but even the weeds, water, sand and all the little things around that are always taken for granted.

Ekene Umeike
31st August 2004

2 comments:

  1. I had stayed up one night, all night as an undergrad,just to see the sunrise..it was fabulous..he laughed when I told him..years later,he experienced it..and as we can all see,he was moved by its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good he experienced it, somethings are best experienced. I saw the sunset and it was so beautiful.

      Delete